It did get me to thinking though, a writer engages in all sorts of craziness. It's that insanity that allows us to create stories and characters for others to enjoy, but in non-writers...Well, it would be odd to say the least.
1. Hearing Voices: This is one of my favorites. I don't know about other authors, but my characters 'speak" to me. I'll be doing something completely unrelated to writing and all of a sudden I'm coming up with a conversation between my characters. It doesn't matter if that is not the story I am working on at the time (Yes, Alastor, I'm talking about you), sometimes they just cannot be ignored. Now my daughter reminds me all the time that even in Harry Potter, hearing voices isn't good. See? Non-writers can't go around admitting they hear voices, but we can and people just ignore it or chalk it up to "creativity".
2. Compulsive Lying: This is at the very heart of our profession. We get paid to lie for a living. When you get right down to it, writing is nothing more than making stuff up. Now, how entertaining that stuff is determines how successful you will be. Again, normal people can't do this and not lose a few friends or at least get a few strange looks.
3. Delusional: What writer doesn't LOVE spending time in the world that they created? Sometimes that world is so much better than the world we actually live in. Again , sorry non-writers. You all are stuck here...There is hope though, pick up a book and let a writer take you away into their imaginary world.
4. God-Like Complexes: Okay, we are God in our world. Sometimes are characters stray, but for the most part they obey are every whim. They live because we allow them to live and we can kill them off at anytime (Game of Thrones fans know this too well).
5. Denial: And despite everything to the contrary, we still believe that the desire to write is not some special form of insanity that we have been blessed with.
I don't know about my writer friends, but even though it's crazy, it's too much fun NOT to do it. To me, writers are the best type of crazy because if you are crazy enough, readers will want to be a part of your insanity, they will read the conversations those voices created, they will care about the lies you created, and they will cry out when the story breaks their heart and mends it again. Yeah, writer's are the best type of crazy.